You’re Asking Too Much of Your Website
There may be a day in the not too distant future where websites will be run by artificial intelligence.
In that day, highly intuitive and intelligent robots will update your website to conform to updates or algorithm changes. And those same robots will craft brilliant words, layout, and images that rival your competitors. Not to mention, they’d be masters at SEO, sales strategies, and finding your niche audience. Basically, you’d create a website, have a little conversation with your weebot (website + robot —> wē ▪ bawt) and walk away while piles of cash flow to your business through your website.
Until then, websites are about as smart as houseplants.
Even so, we can’t help but notice that many business owners have a weebot mentality (note the aforementioned made-up word above) when it comes to their website. They build a lovely website and then walk away from it, expecting it to create its own magic on the internet.
The hard truth is, websites are work.
You can put in the minimum and get by, but to really make an impact on your sales and the growth of your business, you have to work at it.
Here’s an idea of what your website wants from you:
- Update your content. If you have a blog but don’t use it, remove it. If you have a portfolio, add new projects. Make sure your about page is up to date.
- Stay up to date with software. WordPress (or whatever platform you’re using) and plugin updates are super important. Make sure to stay on top of those.
- Check usability. Occasionally check to make sure all your pages work properly.
- Claim your Google Business Listing. It’s not hard to do and gives google searchers accurate information on your business.
- Blog once a month. This will at least give search engines a better idea about what is on your website and proves to visitors that you’re still in business.
- Your website is clean, modern, and easy to use. You’ve considered, or completed, a redesign to keep things from going stale.
- Partner with a growth minded web company.
📣Shameless plug alert: As a Control Yours member you get:
– Updates done by us so you don’t even have to think about it.
– We’ll fix it if something isn’t working right.
– 2-3 monthly creative recommendations. Which means you’ve got another set of eyes critically looking at your website each month to see what can be improved.
- Focused, consistent blogging. Frequent, great content that people can learn from. Search engines appreciate it, but your customer base will love it even more.
- Build links by connecting with other websites in your industry and getting guest blog posts. Links to your site are good for your SEO, but connecting with other industry members gives you a bigger platform to talk about what you do.
- Dive into online marketing. Promote on Google, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and even LinkedIn. Craft an email campaign complete with landing pages. Measure and track your advertising efforts.
- 📣Last shameless plug alert, I promise: As a Control Yours member, we can also do your content and online marketing for you 😉.
Here’s the deal.
If you’re not ready to put in even the bare minimum for a website, and your business is doing fine, keep doing what you’re doing. And if you have an old, rusty website, I’d even consider shutting it down until you can give it the time it deserves.
But, if you’re ready to explore the opportunities that a website brings, you need to come prepared. Carve out time, commit to your website’s success, put in the effort, and it will be a much more rewarding experience.
The good news is that it’s never too late to start. Old website, new website, or no website, as soon as you start giving that mindless houseplant some sunlight and water, it’ll start to grow and perform for you.
If you want to take an in-depth look at your website, we’ve created a Website Assessment Guide that will help you see clearly where you need to put your time and energy.
Or, give us a call to talk about your hopes and dreams for your online presence. We love nothing more than seeing our clients do really well online.